Asbestos & Lead
EHS is responsible for administering and monitoring mold, asbestos, and lead paint program efforts at the University of Kansas.
Our goal is to prevent and/or minimize occupational and environmental exposure from asbestos or lead-based paint containing materials that may be disturbed, released or disposed.
We work closely with Design & Construction Management, Facilities Services, Student Housing, IT, Athletics, and many other campus units to assure that potential asbestos or lead paint hazards are identified and proper controls are in place before and during any construction, renovation, maintenance, operations, or other activities that take place on campus.
- Identification - sampling and testing of suspect Asb/Pb materials.
- Information - building surveys, building occupant notifications, and related records.
- Project Monitoring - oversee outside abatement contractors, perform exposure assessment and project air monitoring.
- Material Management/Control - routine evaluation of identified/known Asb/Pb materials on campus and protective maintenance measures to prevent their deterioration or release.
- Material Abatement - Removal and disposal performed by our on-call abatement contractor under EHS supervision.
- Training - provide both awareness-level and in-depth training as required by regulations for various campus employees.
Contact Asbestos/Lead Services
- Phone -- 785-864-4774