Universal Procurement Procedures for Hazardous Materials (HM)/Radiation Generating Devices (RGDs)
Lab Safety Manual, Part 1, Section (2.2.3) - Note 2: For some Hazardous Materials and all Radiation Generating Devices, prior approval by EHS and/or appropriate subcommittee is required for each order. Laboratory-Specific Safety Plans approved by the EHS Dept. and the appropriate subcommittee are required in some cases before the initial order.
Recombinant DNA, Biological Material and/or Select Agent requests are submitted via the Biological Agent Risk Assessment Form through Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Department. Risk Assessments must be updated and a copy sent to EHS each time the hazards of a material change.
- Biological Risk Assessment Form
- Biosafety in MicroBiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL)
- Recombinant DNA, as defined by the KU rDNA Safety Committee, requires safety committee approval, and the approval letter filed with EHS.
- Biological Material, as defined in the "Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories" handbook, requires EHS approval. BSL2 may require committee approval. BSL3 does require committee approval.
- Select Agent, as defined by Center for Disease Control, and U.S. Department of Agriculture, requires EHS and safety committee approval.
- BSL4 level materials are not approved for use on the KU Lawrence campus.
Regulated chemical requests are submitted via the Hazardous Chemical SOP through Environment, Health & Safety (EHS) Department.
Ionizing / Non-Ionizing Radiation and Lasers
Contact EHS Radiation Safety Officer Phone -- 785-864-2851